sean
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings from the Cigar side of CB and Buffalo, Wyoming

Been an avid cigar smoker for about 15 years, and did try a pipe for about a year in college 33 years ago, and am considering giving it another try, mainly as I'm planning to grow some of my own tobacco I would want to try, and there's no way I could roll a cigar with 2 paralyzed fingers, plus I could never even roll a smokable cigarette by hand even before, so figured a pipe would be right up my alley.

Look forward to exploring a new realm of tobacco smoking, and enjoying the knowledge and comeradery in the pipe side of Cigar Bum.

I friggin love cigars

2. Thanks Nature, chain_gang thanked for this post
    First Name
    Matthew
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much action going on in the pipe threads, which is a shame. I'm going to try to get on the pipes in the cold weather, and just stick with that until I can sit outside comfortably for over an hour. I just got my first pipe here on the Secret Santa event last year. It'll be good to be learning with another newbie, and a good time to start annoying the pipe vets with questions.

Moderator dj1340's Avatar  Cigar Bum Sponsor
    First Name
    Don
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame pipes don't seem to get the love they should. I love cigars but a pipe sets a different tone for me. It may take a bit more work, prepping the tobacco
    and pipe. Seems to slow things down a bit. I'm a sipper so there are more relights which I really don't care. I like my tobacco on the drier side I seem to always have some
    drying out.
    I've had some of my pipes for over 45 yrs. There are memories with a lot of them. Where I bought it, what I smoked when I got it etc.
    Couple of things I've learned. I like good Bourbon and hate wet toilet paper.

5. Thanks AlanS thanked for this post
    Likes chain_gang liked this post
    Royal Bum
    First Name
    Steve
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    571 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me see if I have this right. You are wanting to grow a tobacco plot at the Vet home? Will they let you cure, dry and age it in your room or are you going to build a barn? Seems like it might be more plausible to just BUY a small amount of different pipe tobaccos you want to try and buy a cob. Color me skeptical.
    Enjoy and care for your parents, once they are gone you become an orphan!

7. Thanks AlanS thanked for this post
    Likes Alwayslit, chain_gang liked this post
    First Name
    sean
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Smokey View Post
    Let me see if I have this right. You are wanting to grow a tobacco plot at the Vet home? Will they let you cure, dry and age it in your room or are you going to build a barn? Seems like it might be more plausible to just BUY a small amount of different pipe tobaccos you want to try and buy a cob. Color me skeptical.
    I will only be sprouting 3 different tobacco plants until they are about 6in tall on my windowsill, then will be transplanting them down to the huge ranch we border that is still public property with hunting, bike trails, hiking trails, a stocked trout pond, etc.

I'm sure 3 plants will go completely unnoticed, let alone be a problem if they are.

Still unsure exactly where I'll be drying and curing the plants. I can string some clothesline across an out of the way part of my room (no one but housekeeping would ever even know they are in there, and they won't give a shit), or in an area in the forested section where I can string them up between 2 small trees that are completely shaded by a bunch of big trees.

Already scouted a few spots where it would be almost completely dark.

Even if the drying and curing is a complete failure, I will still have had the enjoyment of tending to them and watching them grow.

For aging, I have plenty of unused tupperdors I can put in the complete dark of a few unused cabinets I have in my room.

The tobacco growing is really for pure entertainment. There's a high probability it will never be smoked, as it's 1 plant each of Filler, binder, and Wrapper strains, and with 2 paralyzed fingers, it's impossible for me to even try rolling a very poorly made cigar. If anything, it will be blended in cigar proportions and smoked in a pipe just for curiosity sake.

Already placed an order for a cob and some tobaccos to try that were highly recommended by members of the pipe forum i joined. The growing is just for something neat and interesting to do as I'm growing bored with doing the same things, the same ways, at the same times every day, and could use a new hobby.

I friggin love cigars

9. Thanks chain_gang thanked for this post
    Royal Bum
    First Name
    Steve
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    571 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfoxx View Post
    I will only be sprouting 3 different tobacco plants until they are about 6in tall on my windowsill, then will be transplanting them down to the huge ranch we border that is still public property with hunting, bike trails, hiking trails, a stocked trout pond, etc.

I'm sure 3 plants will go completely unnoticed, let alone be a problem if they are.

Still unsure exactly where I'll be drying and curing the plants. I can string some clothesline across an out of the way part of my room (no one but housekeeping would ever even know they are in there, and they won't give a shit), or in an area in the forested section where I can string them up between 2 small trees that are completely shaded by a bunch of big trees.

Already scouted a few spots where it would be almost completely dark.

Even if the drying and curing is a complete failure, I will still have had the enjoyment of tending to them and watching them grow.

For aging, I have plenty of unused tupperdors I can put in the complete dark of a few unused cabinets I have in my room.

The tobacco growing is really for pure entertainment. There's a high probability it will never be smoked, as it's 1 plant each of Filler, binder, and Wrapper strains, and with 2 paralyzed fingers, it's impossible for me to even try rolling a very poorly made cigar. If anything, it will be blended in cigar proportions and smoked in a pipe just for curiosity sake.

Already placed an order for a cob and some tobaccos to try that were highly recommended by members of the pipe forum i joined. The growing is just for something neat and interesting to do as I'm growing bored with doing the same things, the same ways, at the same times every day, and could use a new hobby.

I friggin love cigars
    Happy gardening!
    Enjoy and care for your parents, once they are gone you become an orphan!

11. Likes chain_gang liked this post
    First Name
    sean
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Smokey View Post
    Happy gardening!
    Thanks.
    Not really a flowers guy, so figured being an avid cigar smoker, growing a few tobacco plants seems fitting and fun

I friggin love cigars

13. Likes chain_gang liked this post
    Freshly Homeless
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, a great guy and avid, longtime Pipe smoker on a cigar forum I belong to, is sending me some aged samples to try:
    PSLTF 10/2010 (Peter Stokkabye Luxury Twist Flake)
    PSBS 10/2010 (Peter Stokkabye Balkan Supreme)
    Lancers Slices 9/2010
    Mac Baron HH Latakia Flake 9/2016
    GH BBF #2 10/2010 (Gawith Hoggarth Best Brown Flake #2

A tad slow from the CF days but nice pick up Sean.
    Last edited by Alwayslit; 08-01-2023 at 03:29 PM.

15. Likes Old Smokey, chain_gang liked this post
    First Name
    sean
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alwayslit View Post
    Also, a great guy and avid, longtime Pipe smoker on a cigar forum I belong to, is sending me some aged samples to try:
    PSLTF 10/2010 (Peter Stokkabye Luxury Twist Flake)
    PSBS 10/2010 (Peter Stokkabye Balkan Supreme)
    Lancers Slices 9/2010
    Mac Baron HH Latakia Flake 9/2016
    GH BBF #2 10/2010 (Gawith Hoggarth Best Brown Flake #2

A tad slow from the CF days but nice pick up Sean.
    Yeah, I'm sure it's all excellent and it was extremely generous of him to send something so difficult to replace without having to wait 10 years. Very grateful for the opportunity to try a little aged tobaccos.

I friggin love cigars

17. Likes chain_gang liked this post