First Name
    Cameron
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a budget on Excel for my hobbies. It's the only way to keep control, hehe.

Lonely Wandering Bum FireRunner's Avatar
    First Name
    Henry
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HIM View Post
    This is so true and happens to most in this hobby. Buy bigger than you'll need and don't get it in your head that you have to fill the extra space just because you have it. Your humi won't end up jam-packed and you'll be able to move stuff around or rotate stock every once in a while. Much easier than when its packed to the gills.
    Many of us said "200 cigars would last me a lifetime thats plenty of space." Lo and behold 3 more tupperdors later your scratching your head wondering what the hell happened lol.
    Very true in this hobby. This is what I tell every single person I know who starts smoking cigars as a hobby:

1. Figure out how many cigars you smoke, on average, a month. For example if a person smokes two cigars a week that's eight cigars a month.

2. Take your monthly number and multiple by 10. In this case it's 80.

3. Round to the nearest 50/100/150/200/etc. In this case 100.

4. Multiply by 2. In this case it's 200.

Now, go buy a humidor that is "built" to hold 200 cigars, because realistically it will only hold about 125-135 depending on the ring gauge/spacing/dividers/etc. Overall, I find this to be ideal because there is enough % to go around for random cigars, regular smokes, and rare smokes. You also have some room for cigars that are resting or even aging.
    Puffing away since the early 90s. Still going strong.

First Name
    Bob
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny as I had bumped it up to 100 thinking 50 would be plenty, but in reality I'd like to keep a box of Avos, a box or two of something cheaper (<$100 shipped), room for new sticks to try, as well as room for a few really nice smokes. And then I also really like Souther Draw Kudzus so I may need some of them. Does any of this sound familiar?
    "Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899

"Amen....wine, beer or whisky can cure a lot of problems, or start a shitload of others!....." - droy1958

First Name
    David
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a YETI Roadie 20 cooler 6-8 months ago that I've been using for box storage. They seal very well and have great insulation. Have yet to use any Bovedas in it yet and it holds high sixties. The cigars are the humidification as they come in a bit wet. I just transfer some over to my desktops as needed. I went on a little buying spree back when and couldn't fit anymore boxes in it so I bought one of those heavy duty five gallon buckets with the screw top lid on it for the overflowing boxes. Tossed some cedar and one Boveda 65 in it and it holds amazingly well with 4-5 boxes in it. I store it in a cool closet and it's worked for me...Whatever gets you through the night...
    Like my father before me, I will work the land,
    And like my brother before me, I took a rebel stand.

5. Likes AlanS liked this post
    First Name
    Bob
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually don't have an ice chest of the size I think I'd want, but figure this is a good way to go for now, and despite having nearly a dozen ice chests who couldn't use more?
    "Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899

"Amen....wine, beer or whisky can cure a lot of problems, or start a shitload of others!....." - droy1958

Jumpin’ Railcars and Collectin' Cans OtismyMan's Avatar  Cigar Bum Sponsor
    First Name
    Steve
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HIM View Post
    This is so true and happens to most in this hobby. Buy bigger than you'll need and don't get it in your head that you have to fill the extra space just because you have it. Your humi won't end up jam-packed and you'll be able to move stuff around or rotate stock every once in a while. Much easier than when its packed to the gills.
    Many of us said "200 cigars would last me a lifetime thats plenty of space." Lo and behold 3 more tupperdors later your scratching your head wondering what the hell happened lol.
    Truer words were never spoken... I bought a nice 125ct Humi and only had about 20 sticks...before the damn thing was even finished with the 2 week seasoning process with Bovedas I had out grown it

8. Likes AlanS liked this post
    First Name
    Bob
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    349 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeede View Post
    Does your local B&M hand out night vision goggles for customers to browse the humidor with?
    There's a B&M in a nearby town that you almost need to be wearing sunglasses to view the overpriced and extremely over lit humidor.If the silly bugger"s still in business, which I doubt,since he will shadow anyone in the humidor, even tho he has two security cameras in the humidor.Have seen him try to get a guy looking at $29.95 bundled cigars to the two boxes of Ashtons, one open, one sealed he has. His biggest sellers, he said are Acids.