Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calcutta Metal Works Cigar Scissors Review

3/10/2014

Item: Calcutta Metal Works Folding Cigar Scissors
    MSRP: $30.00
    Price Paid: $4.00 via CigarBid.com

m-cmw01.jpg

Website Description: The Calcutta Metal Works Folding Cigar Scissors is a nifty (and very handy) tool featuring a sharp folding cigar scissors, along with a cigar poker, lighter bleeding tool, screwdriver, and bottle opener. The durable, easy-cutting cigar scissors can cut up to a 54 ring-gauge cigar. Comes with a handy key ring attachment for convenience.

This accessory was purchased because, well frankly, I am becoming addicted to cigar accessories, and because I needed a lighter bleeding tool. Also, I was curious about how well cigar scissors work. The CMW Folding Scissors comes with a leather case as well, and feature a key ring for the smoker on the go. Besides the scissors, poker, bleeder, screwdriver and bottle opener, there is another tool that appears like it could be used to open cigar boxes sealed with those small tack-like nails.

I purchased mine in the gun metal color, and it is very sleek looking. However, there seems to be an oil applied to the blades. I am sure this is some sort of lubricant to keep the blades from grinding together, but it is a bit off-putting. This oil collects bits of tobacco when cutting a cigar, and wiping it off leaves ones finger greasy as well. But the cut is sharp and I’m sure the oil will go away shortly, probably after it has been applied to enough cigars that I then put in my mouth…

The scissors are large enough to cut a cigar larger than the advertised 54 ring gauge. I’d say a 64 could be clipped easily. The bleed tool works. The bottle opener works. This thing is great! Collapsible, compact and functional, it is well worth the $4.00 I paid for it. Highly recommended for a cigar smoker looking for a multi-tool.
    To smoke is human; to smoke cigars, divine.

Bummin' Around
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's for the review. I have these same ones as well, though I paid $7.00 on Cbid.

I do have some slight problems with them, which means I really never use them:

1) The scissor blades are quite thick metal and fairly dull, meaning they tend to "crunch" the cap rather than make a nice razor-like slice through it.
    2) The scissors fold up for storage. But when using the scissors to cut a cigar, the handles tend to fold up on themselves at those fold-points.
    3) There's a slight gap between the blades when closed (the pivot point is a bit loose) and this further impedes cutting ability.

I should really take these in and have them sharpened and bent a little so the two blades slide more closely past each other. That could make these more usable. As of now, they're pretty much my last choice for cutting cigars.

Bummin' Around Rocket Scientologist's Avatar
    First Name
    Brad
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Xikar MTX scissors and they are nice. It does take some dexterity to use scissors though, more than a guillotine at least.

The MTX's blades are VERY sharp. I noticed the oil on mine as well and went to wipe it off with my finger (carefully) and still managed to cut my finger. I barely touched it.
    I'm not a Scientologist, I just build Xenu's spacecraft.

Freshly Homeless
    First Name
    Ken
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Ropey. I paid $7 and that's about where it should be priced. There's a big difference in quality when compared to the refined Xikar mtx tool. The best part of the Calcutta for me is the pointy edged plug tool that I like to use to "aerate" cigars with tight draws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ropey View Post
    That's for the review. I have these same ones as well, though I paid $7.00 on Cbid.

I do have some slight problems with them, which means I really never use them:

1) The scissor blades are quite thick metal and fairly dull, meaning they tend to "crunch" the cap rather than make a nice razor-like slice through it.
    2) The scissors fold up for storage. But when using the scissors to cut a cigar, the handles tend to fold up on themselves at those fold-points.
    3) There's a slight gap between the blades when closed (the pivot point is a bit loose) and this further impedes cutting ability.

I should really take these in and have them sharpened and bent a little so the two blades slide more closely past each other. That could make these more usable. As of now, they're pretty much my last choice for cutting cigars.

Banned
    First Name
    Theodore
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calcutta Metal Works Cigar Scissors Review

The Calcutta Metal Works Cigar Scissors are a top-notch accessory for any cigar enthusiast. Their sharp, stainless steel blades provide a precise cut every time, ensuring a smooth draw and perfect burn. The craftsmanship is impressive, blending durability with elegance. Though on the pricier side, the quality and performance make them a worthwhile investment. Highly recommended!

6. Likes WNYTONY, Old Smokey, chain_gang liked this post
    First Name
    Matthew
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore02 View Post
    The Calcutta Metal Works Cigar Scissors are a top-notch accessory for any cigar enthusiast. Their sharp, stainless steel blades provide a precise cut every time, ensuring a smooth draw and perfect burn. The craftsmanship is impressive, blending durability with elegance. Though on the pricier side, the quality and performance make them a worthwhile investment. Highly recommended!
    Welcome to Cigarbum. Please introduce yourself over in the Introductions section, and/or feel free to share what non-Cubans you are currently smoking over in the "What did you smoke today (NC)" thread.

Your post is a bit suspicious, as this thread hasn't been replied to in almost 10 years. It will be flagged as spam in 24 hours if you do not respond to one of the requests above.

First Name
    Ryan
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See here I thought there were a whole bunch of new faces talking about cigar scissors. Thanks for the input if you are a real person!

9. Thanks allusred thanked for this post
    First Name
    Matthew
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
    See here I thought there were a whole bunch of new faces talking about cigar scissors. Thanks for the input if you are a real person!
    Roboscissors lost to the ban hammer.

First Name
    Ryan
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chain_gang View Post
    Roboscissors lost to the ban hammer.
    AI bots have feelings too. Did you not watch T2?